I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

What we are all about

Most Blogs are useless, informative and dull... We on the otherhand are as keen as wolverine hunters, as useful as six-ply toilet paper and the furthest thing from dull since luminous colours came out. So if you are into useless, informative and dull blogs, go play in traffic. Otherwise join us and rule the world!

MAKE YOUR MARK!

For those of you who find that you do not feel fulfilled just reading this blog and actually want to post something of your own, you can send your posts to:

editor.of.the.psychopathic@gmail.com

You wont regret it!

Friday, September 26, 2008

Mature Adult? No Thanks!




Spring 2008

To the girl who never knew,


You have been on my mind a lot over the past few weeks. I’m generally not the type to worry, but lately you seem to be...secluded ...I know that you are busy at university but that is no reason to desert me. I feel as if you have been blasted into another realm – too far from the Land of Lauren.You have always been one to take your life seriously (especially your academic work) but you also always live by the motto – “Mature adult? No thanks!”. Do you remember the day we came home covered in a burning rash because we had been rolling down the grass banks by the river on the farm? Mom told us, in one of those “bad day at work” tones, to grow up and go do the laundry. We did the laundry but only after playing hide and seek in it for a while. I cannot believe that was only a year ago. How embarrassing I hear you say. Stop it! This year has taken something out of you and I want you to put it back!

I haven’t forgotten everything that you have gone through this year which might have made you a bit cautious in life. I’ve walked the thorns with you, remember? Mom still worries that you followed Stefan to Rhodes. She is probably right but that’s not what troubles me. You have lost the childlike freedom from your inhibitions. Now you worry about paying for next year’s fees and whether or not you are doing the right course and about what you are going to do when you are big. You have stopped imagining your endless possibilities like a child and instead have begun to focus on life’s mundane woes. Be careful.

I am warning you because the same thing happened to me. While my friends were out licking ice-cream off their noses I usually chose to stay back and work. This made me miserable. All work and no play, makes Jack a dull (and highly strung) boy. Without noticing it I got caught up in the responsible life and neglected the part that was telling me to slow down and stop stressing about the little things. I was disjointed and w as like a time bomb waiting to explode. I had let the intensity of university get to me.

Whether its love, hate, disappointment or success it’s all part of our life cycle but when we let it dictate our lives it becomes dangerous. When you arrive at university throw yourself into every opening that you can find. Be a child. Explore unknown territories, climb over jungle gyms of challenges and see how high your swing will go. Investigate everything you find and learn from your findings. It is the only way.

Take this warning my dear friend. I do not want you to be the girl who never knew that university would make her grow up too fast.

Eternal hugs, kisses and loving cautions.

Lauren

3 comments:

Nich Mulgrew said...

Hey Lauren

Yeah, I've also found the same sort of things troubling. Probably the hardest thing for me this year has been finding that ever-so-delicate balance between work and leisure and keeping it.

I really got what you were saying when you said that you let the intensity of university get to you, because I've been going through much of the same deal. I've burned out a couple times this year, just because I've let the work and stress get the better of me. I usually turn to satire and alcohol (or both, in the case of my blog entry here) to get the stress out of my system.

Maybe just try to focus on the good stuff? You don't need to grow up at university, (as some people at Rat exhibit, I'm pretty sure some people de-evolve) because you only really grow up as much as you want to.

And now I need to actually go and do a comment on this now! :/

See ya in Ling.

Nich Mulgrew said...

Okay, now! Here's the actual comment: ;)

(I hate all this formality and crap in this course. How are you supposed to sincerely make a proper thematic blog if you have to post the same sort of stuff over and over?)

"Probably the hardest thing for me this year has been finding the ever-so-delicate balance between work and leisure, keeping it and applying it to all aspects of my university life.

I dunno, you also seem to find this a difficult issue, and I really got what you were putting forward when you said you'd let the intensity of university get to you. I've been going through the same thing, although neither you nor my classmates probably wouldn't have noticed. Instead, I usually turn to satire and alcohol (or both, in the case of my blog entry here) to get the stress out of my system.

You also seem to imply that you didn't know that university would make you grow up so quickly before you moved to Grahamstown; I can relate to that in a big way. Getting caught up in so many new ideas and crap to do really is overwhelming, and I think the only way out is to chuck yourself at every different thing that interests you or could potentially be an outlet for your stress, homesickness or whatever. (I recommend beer, but maybe squash is better if you have a slower metabolism?)

Maybe just try to focus on the good stuff? You don't need to grow up at university, (as some people at Rat exhibit, I'm pretty sure some people de-evolve) because you only really grow up as much as you want to.

Take care, yeah?

Nich
(http://www.takinglifeseriously.blogspot.com)"

See ya!

tradgeystrikesatthelollipopcircle said...

Be careful about your font. it can be difficult to read esp when its so small and on a black background. Very insightful letter. I agree, one should never forget how to play, laugh and enjoy life.